Wednesday, December 06, 2006

I'm Killing

Went to Carnegie Hall tonight, to see Josh Bell. He would be performing the Brahms Violin Concerto, but we'd have to wait until after the intermission to hear it. I knew it was the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra tonight, but I wasn't sure about the conductor. Looked inside the Playbill and noted that tonight's conductor was Sir Andrew Davis. I turned to V and said something like, "Is he Sir Colin Davis's brother?" She replied, "I was just about to say that." (I win, this one time, I actually win!) So far that was the highlight of my night. (Though the free booze and MarieBelle chocolates at our pre-concert stop weren't bad either.) But there's more, because tonight I was killing. After the Coriolan Overture was finished, there was a brief pause while additional musicians piled onto the stage for the next piece, Sofia Gubaidulina's Feast During a Plague. There were at least four percussionists on stage, not including the pianist or the two harpists. I cracked, "What is this Mahler?" and the woman to my left thought it was pretty funny. I would've walked out right there (to leave on a high note), but the music was about to start again and I still had to stick around to retrieve my new baby.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, classical music humor. So droll!

qsoz said...

Yes, very. And I love my tiny little iPod.

Anonymous said...

"OH MY GOD IT'S SO SMALL AND SHINY!"