Tuesday, February 13, 2007

JC and Eugene

Lunch at Little Lad's Basket (which seems down, but check out the rave reviews!) It's a (mostly vegan) cafeteria in the basement of a downtown office building run by Seventh Day Adventists (official site here). It's hard to get a better bargain than a full plate of food and a bowl of soup for only $2.99.

Tonight was the final installment of our subscription at the Met. I don't think either of us had seen Eugene Onegin (based on the Pushkin novel) before and we were pretty excited (Renée Fleming!) even though we had seats in the last row of the house. My inability to stay awake notwithstanding, I think this was best opera I'd seen at the Met this season, though I did have more fun at City Opera. The sets to Onegin were very spartan, it felt like we were watching a production of Shakespeare in the Park. The costumes on the other hand were fabulous and glamorous. Onegin follows the not atypical arc of doomed love, but is especially sad to me since the characters had a chance at love, but walked away of their own accord. I wasn't the only one with a broken heart at the end.

No comments: