Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Origami USA Convention - June 23-26 CONT'D

Lots of folding the rest of the weekend. Made a new friend near the end on Sunday night. This kid, Daniel had taught an open-faced rhombic polyhedron and I wanted to learn how to make it. Can't even remember the steps now. But did meet his neighborhood buddy, Leanna. Daniel seemed distracted by some origami conversation he was having with his boys, so I started trading some designs/lessons with Leanna. We basically made a bunch of tiny pieces with 2" paper. And she was laughing the entire time. She was a much better/faster folder and would finish folds before I even finished explaining the next step. Think she might have been humoring me. So of course we started talking about our love lives, cuz that's what you do when you fold origami. She had some crazy love triangle in her life, and I told her of my recent travails. Of course that's when I find out I'm a good dozen years older. Ha. But it was definitely the most fun 2 hours of the convention.

Monday night dinner.
Stayed home to watch the World Cup matches, so I missed out on the Monday classes. And Robin ended up carrying my empty tube with her all day. She smacked me when she saw me at the tables around 5pm (when I was chatting with Toby, the volunteer coordinator). Hahaha.
Ended up being the table enforcer during the dinner and got to be first in line at dinner. I was sitting at a table full of ladies who were all at least 20 years older than me. And I'd been a good boy and bought 10 drink tickets for dinner. So when I sat down at the table I fanned out my drink tickets and announced that I was planning on getting lucky that night. This was met with some approving nods, laughter and a few cackles. If I'd said the same thing to a bunch of girls my age, it would probably be received by stares of the "he's such a pig" variety. I got engaged in a conversation with Sue and she suggested I get setup with one or several of her friends. Roz was sitting between us and was dying as we kept upping the ante. Older ladies? check. couples? sure why not. bdsm? yes, i have vinyl tape. toys? and the Hitachi Magic Wand. Sue never got in touch with me after the convention though.

No comments: