Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Vacation? Day 1 - June 20

Tuesday was my first day of vacation, so what do I do?

Get up at 6am and out of the house by 7 to wait on line for SITP (Macbeth) tickets down at the Public Theatre.
Got off at Astor Place and was the 5th person to get there. Some crazy homeless dude was 1st, a guy who'd seen it 5? times was 2nd, a woman wearing a Nike shirt was 3rd (she's also seen it at least twice), Josh was 4th (actor dude? who'd seen it on Sunday), me 5th, Cliff 6th (part owner of Verlaine on Rivington), and Jessica 7th (actor friend of Josh).

I didn't really talk to my line neighbors all that much, but they were a friendly bunch, and I almost finished KR's origami star and I did manage to get thru another 100 pages or so in Salt (which I'd just gotten back from TL on Monday; I'd left the book in her bag during MC's party a while back and forgot to retrieve it from her when I was leaving Galapagos).

So after I got the tickets (2nd row center!) texted MB and told her we were still on in spite of all the dire weather forecasts.

Walked down to work, popped in to update the World Cup chart in MW's office, and headed back uptown to meet RV for lunch at the Met. (that whole codename thing isn't going to work. first initial won't work either. I know way too many J's and M's and everybody else would be obvious anyway) She was wearing a pretty white skirt and matching white sandals. We went up to Dean & Deluca for eats and drinks; back to a bench near the museum. Made her blush a couple of times, once when I was screaming over the roar of a bus engine, and the other when I tried to steal one of her rings. I liked watching RV flush like that. Lunch was over too soon. Tentative plans for lunch again next week.

Back home to watch the late matches. Groups A (Germany, Ecuador) and B (England, Sweden) were pretty much settled so there wasn't much to play for. Groups E (USA) and G (Korea) still have everything up in the air, so they should be much better match days. Can't wait.

After slogging thru the 4 games on Tuesday (yay DVR), took a little nap, and back onto the isle to meet Meg at the Delacorte. A fat lady walking her dog was singing Do That To Me One More Time (Captain & Tenille) underneath the arch along the path from E79th to the Great Lawn. MB called me when I was about 20 feet away from her. Her new phone is apparently crap. Anyway, Macbeth.

I love outdoor theatre. I've been to every show at the Delacorte since the Tempest (1995?). I actually took last Tuesday off (June 13th) to see the first show, but it was postponed due to weather. And I just love the moving sets. and Liev was fantastic as Macbeth. I think I'll go see it again.

Oh yeah, Meryl Streep as Mother Courage in the 2nd show this summer. That should be an impossible ticket, just like the Seagull.

Well that was Tuesday. One day behind is fine with me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

finally some new postings.....