Saturday, March 10, 2007

A Nine Hour Tour

Was supposed to play in KR's charity tournament for the MS Walk today, but it didn't end up happening.

My dad's sister's granddaughter, KM (2nd cousin? cousin once-removed?) was in NYC for the week and Saturday was going to be her last day here. I'm not sure how much fun she'd have driving around with the folks, so I volunteered to show her around town in my parents' stead.

We started off in front of her youth hostel near Times Square and walked up to Eatery to get some breakfast and figure out the plan for the day. KM noted all the "pretty women with small faces" inside the restaurant and in New York in general. I was a bit confused since I took a look around and saw only one woman I would describe as attractive. Everyone inside Eatery was well-dressed and well put together, but that's just money and vanity. KM didn't have a good idea what she wanted to do. She suggested we go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, then proclaimed she didn't really like art. This was going to be a long day. Over the next nine hours I tried to give KM a New York City history lesson as we managed photo ops at Carnegie Hall, Columbus Circle, Strawberry Fields, Murray's Cheese, Porto Rico, Lombardi's, and Parisi Bakery. We took a break from the tourist-y areas and headed over for an afternoon drink atop W's roof in the LES. On our way there KM commented that the LES seemed the least "New York" of all the places we'd seen that day - I wasn't getting through to her at all. I gave up on the commentary and decided to let her just take the city in on her own. W had 8 others on the roof with her and we all enjoyed the views until it became too cold. I wish I could dance some more.

No comments: